Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Land of Inconsistencies

Shasta is 17 months old today!

We've shown three weekends since the last post.  We have finished our AX and AXJ titles and got our first MACH points in both standard and jumpers.  I am really pleased with how Shasta is doing in the ring to this point.  Focus, with a few minor exceptions, has been really good.  We don't have any obstacle worry issues, which I have found unusual for a young berner.  With the exception of the weaves I have been happy with her speed.  Overall she is one impressive pup so far.

What has been surprising to me is how each weekend of shows seems to bring a new and different issue for the weekend.  We've had weave entry issues for a small stretch.  Minor issues with her "hoarking" up her treat on course.  Minor issues with her "freezing" on a course near the exit (where I am quite sure she is saying, that's enough, let's go get our treats).  A few dropped bars here and there.  A couple of courses with lots of speed, a couple of courses where she was slow.  We had one course that started with a tunnel she flew out of it, we had another that started with a tunnel where I wasn't sure if she got lost in it.

I do still have a few consistent issues (not every time but enough times) in the shows that we need to work through.  I've mentioned the before.
1) Slow weaves.
2) Pausing at the top of the aframe.
3) Freezing/distraction near exit where I believe she wants to go get her treats.
4) Not one I am highly motivated to fix but she does not auto drop on the table in a show.

I wish I had a better plan for speeding up the weaves.  I don't right now except to wait it out and hope it increases with confidence.  She has done very fast weaves in the show three times I can think of (all three she missed the weave entry first try because she was going so fast).  It's not like she is as fast in weaves as I would like in training either.  One other handler at the show this weekend suggested I send Shasta into the weaves and then send Sonic in a second or two later.  ;-)  For now, I am waiting and hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment