Monday, April 22, 2013

Little Picture Disappointment, Big Picture Encouragement

How can dealing with a part of the process that I knew would happen be disappointing?  I guess deep down I had hope that Shasta would exceed my already high expectations for her.  

Shasta developed the case of "heading home-itis" that all of our berners have gone through.  I had hope with her focus ability that maybe we wouldn't have to go through it.  But her food drive is insane so I shouldn't be surprised.  We went 1 for 5 this weekend and of the four NQs, three were late mistakes that might all be attributable to "heading home-itis".  All were late, all in the same area of the ring heading to the exit.    That was the little picture disappointment.

The courses were not easy courses this weekend.  Not overly tough and certainly not unfair, but tougher than many we will see.  And she handled the sequences great including some "in-your-face" wrong course challenges.   She also had a great, clean open jumpers run to finish her OAJ title.  That was the big picture encouragement.

Her speed was not as good as the previous weekend but wasn't bad.  Not sure if it's the location or some other factor.  There was also signs of confusion on the 2on2off criteria. 

The WORST March/April continues.  8-10 inches of snow last week, maybe 8-10 inches tonight.  April 22nd.  I feel like life is conspiring against Shasta and I right now, not being able to train.

Things to focus on, if I have get a chance to train, essentially still the same as a week ago:
  • 2on2off, specifically A-frames.
  • Weaves, entries and getting distance.
  • Triple and other jumps.
  • Getting a non-puppy sit on start line!
  • Moving front crosses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment